Children entering Reception have access to the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) curriculum. It is split into the different areas below.
|Prime Areas of Learning||Specific Areas of Learning|
|Communication and Language||Literacy|
|Personal, Social and Emotional Development||Understanding of the World|
|Expressive Arts and Design|
Alongside these the EYFS details the characteristics of effective learning which are shown below:
1. Playing and exploring
2. Active learning
3. Creative and thinking critically
Much of the children’s learning takes place through structured play both in and out of doors. This is guided by the Foundation Stage staff and also places high value on incorporating child-initiated activities.
Communication of the curriculum
- At the beginning of each year, staff hold welcome meetings to inform parents and carers of the expectations, curriculum and coverage in each year group.
- Staff send home topic webs each term to inform parents and carers of the curriculum their children will be following.
- Please click on the links below to view the topics covered in our reception curriculum.
- St Nicholas CE Primary: EYFS Long Term Objectives 2018-19
- St Nicholas CE Primary: EYFS Topic Cycle 2018-19
In Reception and KS1 children are taught Phonics using 'Jolly Phonics' and 'Letters and Sounds'.
Children start by reading 'Big Cat' phonics books and then move onto reading a wide variety of reading schemes as they move through Key Stage One, including:
- Oxford Reading Tree
- Spiral Starters
- Discovery World
- Story Chest
- Story Worlds
- All Aboard
- Project X